Natural Habitats is a triple bottom line (people, planet, profit) agribusiness and production group with headquarters in The Netherlands and operations in Ecuador and Sierra Leone. Natural Habitats sources certified organic palm oil fruit from over 100 smallholder farmers in Ecuador who in turn impact over 400 agricultural workers. The company produces palm oil in an extracting mill, refines and manufactures it at a third party facility, and sells it to natural food distribution customers in the EU and US.
Natural Habitats is selling higher-margin finished products by building strong, long-term partnerships and providing its farmer network with personalized technical assistance, equipment financing and valuable inputs. The company contributes 1% of its sales to social and environmental programs for local communities. Natural Habitats is also simultaneously certified for Organic, RSPO (Roundtable for Sustainable Palm Oil), and Fair-for-Life (Social & Fair Trade Certification).
Natural Habitats’ Awards & Achievements:
- Natural Habitats is certified for Organic, RSPO (Roundtable for Sustainable Palm Oil) and Fair-for-Life (Social & Fair Trade Certifications
- Natural Habitats is currently training workers on ISO requirements, and training the supply chain in Ecuador to maintain the certification standards in their operation
- Natural Habitats is in the process of obtaining the Total Square meters, field hectares, Rainforest, and Carbon Neutral certifications
In 2013, GBF committed a loan to help the company acquire new machinery and increase processing efficiency.
GBF BAS & NATURAL HABITATS:
GBF’s BAS program has primarily focused on helping to expand Natural Habitat’s network of suppliers and farmers in Ecuador, and to develop a smallholder farmer supply chain in Sierra Leone.Operations: Developing operations in Sierra Leone to increase access to certified organic palm oil Environmental & Social (E&S): Obtaining Carbon Neutral & Rainforest Alliance certifications
- Natural Habitats directly impacts 494 beneficiaries annually
- 1,976 family members are supported annually by Natural Habitats’ operations
- An estimated $2,922,000 total income or savings in generated annually to Natural Habitats’ beneficiaries to date
- Natural Habitats works with 400 farmers and employs 60 people
- Natural Habitats provides technical assistance to farmers including:
- Personalized production programs (including use of fertilizers and production methods)
- Micro-financing for the acquisition of small equipment
- Sale of reliable, fairly-priced inputs to farmers
- Support to farmers with regulatory compliance and certifications
Learn more about Our Approach to Measurement.