- About GBF
- What We Do
- Meet Our Clients
- Contact Us
The investment guidelines below help us identify the businesses that have the highest potential to succeed commercially, while also generating a positive social impact. If you have questions or comments, please feel free to contact us.
Stage of Company: GBF prefers "growth stage" companies with a strong track record, but will consider earlier stage businesses on a case by case basis.
Defensible Competitive Advantage: GBF seeks companies that can protect their market position through high barriers to entry, first-mover advantage, high-quality differentiated products, etc.
Competent Management Team: It is essential that the company have a strong management team with a successful history starting and/or managing companies, or has other industry experience and education.
- GBF seeks investments of $500,000 to $2,000,000.
- GBF is open to various investment structures including equity, quasi-equity, loans, and guarantees.
- GBF does not seek control of the company (in terms of equity ownership and/or voting rights).
- GBF expects to exit investments within a 6 to 8 year timeframe.
Preferred Situations GBF seeks opportunities where:
- GBF’s investment is key to scaling up the company, and,
- GBF represents less than 50% of company’s total capital base.
Mission Fit Criteria
GBF seeks to invest in for-profit companies that have a strong commitment to bringing measurable and sustainable social and economic impact at the base of the economic pyramid (BoP).
- Africa (Kenya, Tanzania)
- Asia (India, Indonesia)
- Latin America (Bolivia, Peru, Colombia)
Excited to Work with Us: GBF seeks to partner the businesses that are enthusiastic to work with the staff at GBF in a close partnership.
- GBF invests in businesses that generate direct and significant incremental income / savings to their suppliers or customers.
- GBF prefers to work with companies that directly impact in the range of 500-2000 individuals, with potential to increase and scale at least 5-10 times over the period of the investment.
Environmental and Labor Responsibility:
- GBF invests in companies that are environmentally and socially responsible, and are interested in working with GBF to improve these areas where necessary.